The outbreak of the Coronavirus has stalled the world. The global economy has stopped. Lockdown is underway in other countries as well. As a result, all people are detained. All peoples are struggling to live healthily. Considering such a situation, experts say that this long isolation can have a bad effect on people’s mental health.
According to health experts, in these epidemics, everyone is locked up, but the lockdown is a difficult time for those who are regularly involved with work. Especially for children and older people, staying in one place can have a bad effect on their mental health. People become lonely in order to stay away from their own freedom, social activities, fresh outside air, etc. Now the question is how to prevent mental problems? Let’s find out.
How does quarantine affect mental health?
During the pandemic, many uncertainties continue to develop, but to some extent, create stress. Moreover, quarantine has a serious impact on two important components of mental health, namely – mental well-being and social well-being. Limiting everything to one place reduces one’s mental health as well as physical health – such as physical weakness, loss of sleep, deterioration of heart health, and reduced immunity.
A study published in The Lancet Journal found that people who were in quarantine reported symptoms of a variety of mental illnesses. These include depression, emotional stress, slight anger, insomnia, resentment, emotional turmoil, post-traumatic stress syndrome. Another study found that this type of mental health problem was triggered by the outbreak of the SARS virus that occurred in 2003. About 10 percent of people suffer from post-traumatic stress symptoms. Such psychological effects were reported for almost three years, even after the outbreak of the SARS virus. However, according to experts, such problems are more common in those who already have psychological problems.
Ways to eliminate mental health problems:
1) Keep yourself active throughout the day.
2) Listen to music, read books, draw pictures, create a flower garden, and try to find something entertaining to eliminate negative thoughts.
3) Get plenty of water and eat a balanced diet.
4) Spend time with older people and listen to them.
5) Keep kids busy so that they don’t feel bored and lonely.
6) If you are feeling anxious, sit down for a few minutes, and practice deep breathing and exhalation.
7) Keep yourself away from unnecessary thoughts. This is very important to keep the mind calm.
8) If you are angry and upset, calm the mind by counting the number from the back, ie from 10 to 1.
9) If you experience loneliness, spend time with family, as well as communicate with friends over the phone.
10) Consult the mental health specialist immediately if you cannot resolve the issues described above.
What do you do to reduce mental health problems in quarantine?
1) Don’t be intimidated without reason.
2) Stay away from engaging news or social media posts that carry false or fake information.
3) Who got sick? Always stop talking about how many people get sick and how they are.
4) Practice hygiene rules offered by the World Health Organization.
5) Avoid consuming tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs, as they can improve your mental health while standing.
6) Do not panic if you are infected with the coronavirus. Keep in mind that most people are recovering from this disease.
7) Do some physical yoga exercises and meditation in the morning and evening.
8) Spend time with family, not alone. Enjoy the days well